Contact Us

Church of the Open Door International (Urdaneta Church) Lisland Rainforest Resort, Mc Arthur Highway, Urdaneta City, 2428 Pangasinan, Philippines (+63)75-6562240 +639209127648

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Caroling: My Ultimate Experience with the Youth!

I never experienced Christmas caroling in my entire life ever, until last Sunday night (and lasted till last night, December 20-23). So when the youth coordinator of our church asked me if she could leave the charge of Christmas caroling of our youth ministry to me, I had second thoughts, but eventually I said yes.


So after Sunday service, we practiced for a couple of hours and with our guitar and tambourine, off we went. When we arrived at the first house that we are going to carol, I was so nervous but eventually, I got the hang of it. And I got on with the caroling just fine. I enjoyed the rest of our caroling time; it was great.

Now I understand why kids love caroling. It is fun, it’s so much fun! And it is not the money or the gifts that they are going to receive that makes it fun, it is the fact that friends are together, singing together, laughing together and simply having fun together.

On my part, I did appreciate the caroling, but what I enjoyed more (just like the kids) is being with the young men and women of our church. Being in charge of the youth for 4 days is an ultimate experience for me. Not only that I get to be on the job training (I’m telling you I learned a lot about teenagers’ complexity in 4 days!) in preparation when my own children would be teenagers, I was also reminded on a lot of things about life, and one is how to enjoy it, something that adults tend to forget.

When we are in charge of the youth, or in simple terms, we are given the responsibility to take care, teach and guide the young people, we think we are to teach, take care and guide ONLY. We think we are the only one in the position of giving something, while the youth’s position is receiving the teachings that we are to give; we are grown ups, guiding growing up people. That’s what I thought too, before.

Read more

DiggThis Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: